The research within this area is designed to support sustainable coastal communities and will be fully integrated with the ecological processes focal area as a bridge between the natural world and human well-being.
Focus Area-specific Goals:
- -Identifying and mapping of ecosystem services, and surrounding communities
- -Assessing monetary and non-monetary values of prioritized ecosystem services where appropriate
- -Developing or enhancing existing decision support tools to include ecosystem services
-Applying an ecosystem service framework to assess the well-being of marginalized communities and issues of environmental justice.
-Providing NOAA-CSC students with skills to analyze natural and social science research outcomes and translate them into decision making tools relevant to NOAA’s mission.
-Establishing mentoring opportunities and policy-related research collaborations withCSC faculty, NOAA specialists/scientists and local/regional coastal managers
-Providing NOAA-ECSC students with skills to analyze natural and social science research outcomes and translate them into decision making tools relevant to NOAA’s mission.
- -Establishing mentoring opportunities and policy-related research collaborations with ECSC faculty, NOAA specialists/scientists and local/regional coastal managers.
- -Developing coursework and webinar opportunities that train ECSC students to effectively evaluate the appropriateness of policy and management options related to coastal areas and NOAA mission-relevant sciences.
- -Encouraging and assisting ESCS students to present policy-related research findings at NOAA or professional meetings and to submit their written findings for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- -Providing students with additional exposure to environmental and sustainability economics through content in a short course and dedicated workshops in order to integrate the human dimensions in environmental decision making.
- - Establishing human dimension education and outreach opportunities with stakeholders through our NERR partners.
- - Mentoring and assisting ECSC students to present their findings at NOAA OPP sponsored and professional meetings and help with their submission of their manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed outlets.
- - Establishing a network of human dimensions professional to act as mentor group for NOAA-ECSC students including individuals from NGOs, government, academia, and the private sector.
NOAA-ECSC is funded under the NOAA/EPP Cooperative Agreement Award# NA11SEC4810001
Copyright © 2015 NOAA Environmental Cooperative Science Center. All rights reserved.