The research within this focus group is designed to support CMSP and will be fully integrated with the ecological processes focal area as a bridge between the natural world and human well-being.
Several research efforts include:
- identification and mapping of ecosystem services of the NERRs, FGBMS and surrounding communities,
- assessing monetary and non-monetary values of prioritized ecosystem services where appropriate,
- developing or enhancing existing decision support tools to include ecosystem services, such as CMSP,
- applying an ecosystem services framework to assess the well-being of marginalized communities and issues of environmental justice.
Focus Area-specific Goals:
- Providing students with additional exposure to environmental and sustainability economics through content in a short course and dedicated workshops in order to integrate the human dimensions in environmental decision making.
- Establishing human dimension education and outreach opportunities with stakeholders through our NERR partners.
- Mentoring and assisting ECSC students to present their findings at NOAA OPP sponsored and professional meetings and help with their submission of their manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed outlets.
- Establishing a network of human dimensions professional to act as mentor group for NOAA-ECSC students including individuals from NGOs, government, academia, and the private sector.
Environmental Decision Making
Source: D. Yoskowitz and C. Santos, Harte Research Institute, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
NOAA-ECSC is funded under the NOAA/EPP Cooperative Agreement Award# NA11SEC4810001
Copyright © 2017 NOAA Environmental Cooperative Science Center. All rights reserved.
Developed by TEMILOLA